AI generators

kipperflew

MVP
Member+
Don't know if you guys have seen but AI is getting better and better at generating images. And one of the things it does best is shiny and plastic clothes. I put some tags into Stable Diffusion which is online for free and got some great pictures of women in shiny and silky outfits. It's still not great at faces which is why I tag rear view. Check out the gallery and try it yourself.

chorlax123

Member+
Wow, just checked it out. It's almost there, your AI Suit 17 and 18 pictures are really good.

*Cubitus*

Staff member
MVP
Member+
So as a (Amateur) Photographer I don't like such pic's very much...
It looks fake to me and that's also not what I want to be done with my images for example... Just correcting a few things is ok...

kipperflew

MVP
Member+
It looks fake to me and that's also not what I want to be done with my images for example... Just correcting a few things is ok...
There are a lot of ethical issues around this, firstly because the AI is trained on existing images, and whether it is fair use to use those to generate new ones, secondly it might put people out of work, thirdly because it might be used to produce images that are illegal or unethical or fake pictures to discredit people. It is also far from perfect. I use rear view most of the time because it still struggles with faces and has many other problems.

chorlax123

Member+
Yeah, it's definitely not clear cut, especially when a lot of these AIs were made by scraping images without peoples consent, or paying for professional/licensed images.
I think a lot of copyright/ethical problems could have been avoided if the developers either asked for public submissions to use as samples for training, or paid for a bulk set of 'stock photography' images that professionals have given permission to use.

...secondly it might put people out of work, thirdly because it might be used to produce images that are illegal or unethical or fake pictures to discredit people. It is also far from perfect. I use rear view most of the time because it still struggles with faces and has many other problems.
It seems inevitable that the models will get better over time, and I hope that simply a few come to dominate that can then have some sort of oversight (either good corporate practices from public/consumer pressure, or if necessary limited govt oversight similar to existing libel/slander, and public safety laws). Unfortunately it'll probably be similar to social media, where technology moves too fast and some controversies and unintended effects happen before society and govt oversight catch up.

On the plus side, it lowers the barrier for people to create and experiment with fantasies and new ideas, that they might otherwise not be able to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom