Problem with login

iloveshiny

Today after logging into my account here i can`t open the gallery page without being logged out again. But strangely the forum is working and i am still logged in while in the forums. Is anyone else having the same issue with the gallery page?

Deleted member 5208

Member+
I've reproduced the issue you described, and it looks like one does get logged out. Without signing back in however, I've clicked on a randomly selected gallery, and my logged in session resumes: username appears at the top. I suspect some session data is not being read somewhere.

Hopefully the site admin can check this out, although I have little confidence in anything happening.

iloveshiny

Ok, good to know that i am not the only one with this problem. Yes, site admin needs to fix this asap!

So typical when i was just about to upload some new pics here today lol

adidasBJ

Same here. Even worse: when I got into the gallery section, it showed on the top right corner that I'm logged with someone else's account :dry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 5208

Member+
OMG! That's not good. Luckily I've only one image on here.

Sounds like the running of this site has not changed much in the last few years.In my opinion it's shambolic. I only opened a new account recently to see if things had improved. Obviously not.

iloveshiny

We need some answers here from site admin, this is not good at all. I recommend that everyone changes their password until this is fixed.

For anyone with good knowledge in running websites, is there any risk that the site has been hacked and user details are on the loose?

I can confirm what @adidasBJ said above about being logged in with someone elses account. Happened with me too and i changed my password right away after seeing it.

adidasBJ

For anyone with good knowledge in running websites, is there any risk that the site has been hacked and user details are on the loose
Don't think so, it just seems this website is poorly managed... Anyway, as for myself I stop posting / sharing here, all of this is just annoying.

someone elses account
"cars6341", right ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 5208

Member+
We need some answers here from site admin, this is not good at all. I recommend that everyone changes their password until this is fixed.
Totally agree.

For anyone with good knowledge in running websites, is there any risk that the site has been hacked and user details are on the loose?
I would not rule it out. Best action to take is to change passwords. If any users on here have used the same password on other sites, do change them too.

Using an email address as a username is also very unwise. Once that email address gets leaked, that is also bad news if it is your primary one.

As for the admin, this site is poorly run. I know this from previous experience but returned to it out of curiosity. Main points:

1. It is not possible to delete images. It requires either that the image is reported to the admin, or you ask her to delete it. Albums I'm not sure.

2. It is practically impossible to get an answer out of the admin.

3. If you want to close your account, the only way of doing this is to get banned from it, BUT your images will remain. This happened to me a few years ago. Remixedcat imposed the ban, and I suspect the same will happen to me this time because of this post.

4. As the admin has not replied to users' messages or forum posts, she is not doing her job properly. Whether or not remixedcat is the only admin here I don't know, but she appears to be.

hunter

No one got hacked. The issue iloveshiny (thank you for saying something) detailed was from a site caching issue. It did not allow you see or do anything you originally weren't supposed to besides making it appear as though you were logged in as another user in the gallery which was just a visual artifact.

It was acting funny for a couple of days and I apologize if anyone lost some time dealing with that, but this is a free, low traffic site with fewer than 50 active members. It has gone without new content posts for up to a week multiple times in the last couple of years. Feel free to start another website if this one bothers you that much and see how motivated you are about keeping it running. As I recall someone else tried that when this website went down and I'm pretty sure it no longer exists. I didn't promise anything when I decided to keep this going.

The site has issues because it's running on expired and unsupported software and, quite frankly, even if it wasn't either of those things the interface/backend for the gallery is terrible by design with its lack of any decent support for video and unresponsive navigation. I mostly keep this going just so people have a website outside of social media giants to share sportswear and post images. If members actually want to pitch in for a support/update contract with the software vendor, then I can do that. The reason I haven't done this is because I stay off the site and chat with users in private because many of the users here expect me to play customer service rep and take **** for a volunteer role. Sorry, but I'd prefer not to spend my time being talked down to or reading demands from entitled people.

iloveshiny

Thanks Hunter for the update, i appreciate that. 

Regarding the sites issues, i can say that i would personally be interested to help out with some financial support if there is a way to make this site run faster and have an overall better design/interface. I understand these things costs and maybe we as a group can help with this if others are willing to help too. Of course, we would need to know first what kind of costs we are talking about. Can you give us an idea of what an update contract would cost and how long does such a contract run? Is it paid on a annual basis?

Deleted member 5208

Member+
Hi Hunter

Thanks for your detailed and honest response. I'm glad you've come forward to shed light on the issues. From personal experience, which is also reflected in others' posts, most issues stem from the response from the administrator RemixedCat, or lack of it.

I appreciate the reason behind you building this site for shiny sportswear lovers, especially to avoid the corporate giants such as social media, Yahoo (Oath), and Tumblr (Oath). If you felt so aggrieved with the responses from users, maybe the following suggestions would improve matters:

1. Find a better content management system to rebuild the site, and engage with users
2. Hand over the reins to someone who is happy to build / run the site (not RemixedCat)
3. Abandon it completely and shut it down (may be v. unpopular).

The symptoms that resulted from the issue you described are very similar to those of sites that have been hacked, or where software updates have failed. Users will be concerned. I for one updated my account in response. In such an event, please do the right thing and post an apologetic response, assure users you are addressing the situation and update them accordingly. Don't accuse them of being entitled and giving you ****! How others users must have felt with your last response I don't know, but it can't have been good.

If you want financial support, as ILoveShiny as kindly offered, then perhaps build a subscription into the site or use some advertising.

I would support a site via a subscription, but based on recent events, not this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom