Overusage of ads, acceptable ads and how to use ads CORRECTLY

NylonPantsMan

Member+
Oh boy......the topic I'm going to talk about today is the "Over-usage of ads, acceptable ads and how to use ads correctly".

Let me tell something right now: I am a not a huge fan of ads (especially the over-use of ads).  

I especially H-A-T-E flash ads (because of the annoyance of them and the fact that they are not secure and can potentially let viruses onto your computer/laptop/tablet).

This is ONE of the reasons why I have Anti-Virus Protection (McAfee's a good one), Ad-blocker and Privacy Badger.

Websites that over-use Ads (ESPECIALLY FLASH ADS) get Ad-blocked from my Ad-Blocker (because, seriously, Flash Ads can go die in a fire).  

I get the point that Websites need to make money.

Here's the problem, though: perhaps the websites should LOOK at why the traffic is lower than normal or nonexistent.  

Some websites get carried away with Ads.   

Perhaps that the websites CAN use them CORRECTLY (and not have 2,000 (I.E. WAY TOO MANY) Ads all over the website).

Here are my rules that determine if a website gets Ad-blocked from my Ad-blocker or not:

1.  The website in question MUST not use MORE than 3 Ads (NO EXCEPTIONS)!

2.  Flash Ads are COMPLETELY out. (Not to mention, what I said above about the Flash Ads is true).

3.  Don't have the "Ad-blocker blocker" on your website.  (It makes the webmaster look foolish).  (Also, Forbes did that at one point and somebody ended up getting malware).  

4.  DO NOT ASK IF YOU WANT ME TO TURN IT OFF!   (You MAY ask if you WANT to be white-listed, but follow Rules 1-5 above).

5.  DO NOT TRY TO FORCE ADS DOWN MY THROAT!   (This is WAY too common, I find, on half the websites out there).

Also, F--- the ad industry.  They WANT to jam Ads down our throats.   F--- them.   

I'm not ENTIRELY against Ads, but it's HOW the website uses them that determines if I ever visit their website again or not.

I've heard that some websites apparently spam Ads in your e-mail (which is pretty stupid in itself, because who wants Ads in their e-mail)?

Fortunately, www.shinysports.com always follow those 5 rules I set above (which is the reason I decided to whitelist THIS website).  

I have FOUR websites that are white-listed RIGHT NOW.  FOUR websites - that's because HALF the websites out there INSIST on breaking my rules and some of them break Rules 4 and 5 IMMEDIATELY.  (The other half uses Ads incorrectly and spams 5,000 Ads down your throat).

I'm sorry - I generally don't trust 90% of the websites out there (just because of their over-usage of ads AND the fact that some use FLASH ADS).

Like I said, if the Webmaster ISN'T making money and the Webmaster is using 5,000 Ads - well, that's why the website is FAILING!  I mean, really, WHO wants to go to a website that slows down your computer/laptop/tablet TO A CRAWL?  I SURE DON'T!   Also, the Webmaster is probably using Ads INCORRECTLY.   

I'm sorry if I'm ranting......but seriously, I just had to get this off my chest.  

Like I said......PLEASE use Ads correctly (AND NEVER USE FLASH ADS).  When I said the Flash Ads are a huge security risk, I mean it.

Here are some websites that EXPLAIN why the majority of people get annoyed and possibly ANGRY with Ads (it probably explains it better than I could):

https://www.vieodesign.com/blog/new-data-why-people-hate-ads

https://thinkgrowth.org/if-we-all-hate-ads-so-much-why-do-they-still-exist-f3db2261c40c?gi=107a568749f5

www.mediapost.com/publications/article/324059/it-turns-out-that-advertisers-hate-ads-too.html

https://morningconsult.com/2017/09/23/consumers-love-hate-ads-wont-pay-escape/

I don't necessarily HATE advertising myself, but it's HOW you use the advertising that may get people to "abandon ship" off of the website.

I'll be back with more pictures of myself.

I suppose this is KIND of a pointless topic, but I just had to get that out of the way.

NylonPantsMan

Member+
Another thing: don't make Ads hard/impossible to click/exit out of if you're going to put in a couple of Ads (like putting the X in a really hard place to click, hiding the X, et cetera).  (This is Rule 6).

Also, DO NOT PLAY AUDIO AUTOMATICALLY (This is Rule 7)!  This may make people's ears hurt and they will probably leave from idiot Webmasters doing that stuff.  If the Webmaster auto-plays an ad, I will leave that Webmaster's website FOR GOOD (and probably post it, too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom