Adding pockets to windpants

Miss Betsy

Member+
I purchased a pair of Columbia Rebel Roamer pants recently. They’re super swishy and I love them…..except for the fact that they don’t have any pockets. I really want to make pockets for them or at least slits where the pockets should be and then wear shorts or pants underneath. What’s the best way to do this without ruining them?

shinysmooth

Staff member
Member+
taking it to a tailor who knows how to work with synthetic fabrics might be the best way to go. it seems a bit difficult to cut nylon/polyester without creating a point for it to tear easily on accident

Miss Betsy

Member+
I wouldn’t want to do that. Rebel Roamer pants aren’t cheap. So I’ll shop around. If I can’t find a good one in my area though, I might just bite the bullet and try it myself

*Cubitus*

Staff member
MVP
Member+
So in my opinion you won't achieve your goal by cutting out an slit...

If you want to do it with quality, you have to open the side seams but it's an test of patience. So as I know the most versions of sewing you have to open the waistband, then you can open side seams and there you can attach pockets.

Or an 2nd method you can simply attach pockets on top of the fabric like an hoody pocket. But I think this version isn't nice.

*Cubitus*

Staff member
MVP
Member+
I can't imagine a nice looking and long lasting way to attach pockets by simply cutting an slit... If you do an slit you have to secure the cutting edges because it would fray out.

oldskoolslix31

Member+
Yes…. If you cut nylon, it continues to fray. I cut a hole in the crotch of my wife’s pair of soffe shorts and they were perfect but after using them a few times, the slit went from the waistband in the front all the way to the back.

*Cubitus*

Staff member
MVP
Member+
Yes…. If you cut nylon, it continues to fray. I cut a hole in the crotch of my wife’s pair of soffe shorts and they were perfect but after using them a few times, the slit went from the waistband in the front all the way to the back.
Jep. the easiest way to make the fabric edges durable is to fold them over twice and sew them.

*Cubitus*

Staff member
MVP
Member+
If you got an overlock sewing machine, overlock the edges and fold em over once and sew them.

Miss Betsy

Member+
I dont even have a regular sewing machine, let alone an overlock sewing machine. I wouldn’t know the first thing about using one. I can hand sew though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom